1. The university’s educational goals specifically list human dignity as a key mission – FJCU affirms human dignity and recognizes all basic human rights.
2. Among the 10 major goals stipulated in development plans for the school, emphasis is placed on building humanistic care and spurring interdisciplinary dialogue on sustainability as the embodiment of Truth, Goodness, Beauty, and Sanctity, the motto of the school, valuing the mental well-being of all students.
3. A motion to form a gender equity education committee was passed in 2005 at an administrative meeting, placing clear emphasis on gender equity.
4. In 2005, the FJCU Regulations Governing the Prevention of Sexual Assault and Sexual Harassment was formulated to prevent such incidents. The regulations stipulated that all staff and students of FJCU should respect diversity and differences in gender in the course of academic activities both on and off campus, in the discharging of duties, as well as in social interactions.
In order to foster gender equity and a respect for diversity, the Gender Equity Education Committee passed motion to set up all-gender restrooms. Current ones are situated in the Fr. Schutte Memorial Building, the College of Fashion and Textiles building, and the College of Medicine building. The university will gradually increase the number of these all-gender restrooms in the spirit of respecting and ensuring one’s right to privacy.
Timeline of Relevant Policies
1. June 2nd, 2005 – Gender Equity Education Committee established.
2. July 6th, 2005 – FJCU Regulations Governing the Prevention of Sexual Assault and Sexual Harassment formulated.
3. September 25th, 2020 – Gender Equity Education Committee passes motion to set up all-gender restrooms.
Timeline for Review of Relevant Policies
1. The Guidelines for Establishment of Gender Equity Education Committee was amended in 2012.
2. The FJCU Regulations Governing the Prevention of Sexual Assault and Sexual Harassment was amended in the years 2006, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2018, and 2020.