FJCU’s academic and administrative units hold ad hoc and regular events off campus; courses and events have been designed to target the participants. For example:
(1) College of Foreign Languages and Literatures: Students taking “TESOL and Cross-Cultural Communication: Service Learning” at the Department of English Language and Literature organize an English Camp at Guo-Tai Elementary School every year. Due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020, participants from Saint Vincent College in the United States were not able to take part in the event as usual. For this reason, the event was organized entirely by the students from the English Department and rescheduled to be held for only a day.
(2) The holistic education courses “Introduction to University Life” and “Philosophy of Life” as well as courses for professional training in each department have incorporated service learning into their curriculum so that students can put their professional skills and knowledge into practice while they are doing community service.
(3) Faculty Development and Instructional Resources Center: The Center plans courses that promote healthy lifestyles and connections with the local community. As of 2020, a total of 14 courses have been conducted by 5 teams of teachers and students. They work together with entities that include 10 communities (including Xinzhuang and Taishan), Xinzhuang District Farmers’ Association, Xinzhuang District Public Health Center, Xisheng Branch of the New Taipei City Library, the emergency department of Taipei Hospital, Taishan Branch of Miracle Home Sisters of Providence, and Xinzhuang Day Care Center of iFully Family Care Association. The events include nutrition and physical fitness assessments for the elderly of the community, puzzle games and activities for the elderly, health education events by the local health center, and more.
(4) Student Clubs:
Xingxin Service Group for the Blind organizes outings for the blind in Xinzhuang District every semester.
Related practical events:
* FJCU promotes and improves education in Xin Wu Tai Community, New Taipei City
* FJCU promotes and improves services in Xin Wu Tai Community, New Taipei City